Ilya Zakharevich on Tue, 9 May 2000 02:57:22 -0400

Re: Bug in default

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 10:24:52PM -0400, Jack Fearnley wrote:
> ? default(format,"g0.7")
>    format = g0.7
> ? default(realprecision)
>    realprecision = 28 significant digits (7 digits displayed)
> ? default(realprecision,,1)
> %2 = 7
> ?
> While computation is proceeding with the correct realprecision (28 in this
> case) the function call
> default(realprecision,,1) is returning 7 which is the displayed number of
> digits.  I need the correct value of realprecision in order to compute the
> number of terms to sum in a series to be summed.

This is related to another problem: when you request calculations with
7 digits, they are done with 9 (as they should), but the info that you
in fact requested 7 is not stored anywhere.  In particular, functions
which need to sum a different number of term depending on precision
would do a lot of extra work to satisfy the 9-digit precision.

Ilya