Ilya Zakharevich on Thu, 9 Nov 2000 14:47:56 -0500

Re: [PARI] about the behavior of install()

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 03:44:14PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:

> >For example, to ensure compatibility with FAT filesystems, OS/2
> >*forces* the DLL names to follow 8.3 convention.  So a DLL cannot be
> >named libFFTquick.so.  Additionally, it may take additional steps to
> >create DLLs which do not follow the system name-conventions...
>
> This means that only the suffix may change.

Why?  The example above shows that "lib" prefix only matters.

> And currently PARI only
> support dynamic linking of modules with libdl , WIN32 and WINCE, which
> all support long file names.

Umm?!  Does not it support any system with dl*() calls present?

> The three possible extension are :
>
> .so  for un*x-like system
> .o   for SUNOS when someone forget the dummy linking
> ld -shared math.o -o math.so   (it happen to me:)
> .dll for W*ndows
>
> So the thing to do is to make "install" retry with .so or .dll.

If extension is system-dependent, it should not be included in the
interface...

Ilya