James G. McLaughlin on Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:40:30 -0600 (CST)

*** the PARI stack overflows !!!

The version of gp in use here may be an old one (not sure) so maybe this
problem no longer exists. My problem is this:
If I run a gp program from a file and the PARI stack overflows gp doubles
the stack size but then quits, unless I have another copy of the program
following the first (and if the stack overflows several times I need
several copies of the program in succession, one for each time the stack
overflows). I know one way around this is to allocate a lot of memory but
usually I do not know how big the job will get so I do not like this,
particularly as there are other users on the system.
	Is there a way to get gp to go back to the beginning of a program
and start over again, once it has doubled the stack size, rather than just
quitting, if there is not a new copy of the program to start on.
		Jimmy Mc Laughlin,
			Dept. Math.,
			  UIUC.