Bill Allombert on Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:37:24 +0100

Re: subst() broken

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 06:50:33PM -0500, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

> > > I have no slightest idea what you mean by this sentence.  Can it be
> > > expressed algebraically, or it is just some "implementation detail"?
> > Both.
>
> [Can't understand your examples, but I hope one can replace Z by Z^3
>  to get something more friendly.]

Sorry... You wrote Mod(1+y,z) so I wanted to keep this example.
Let P be a non nil univariate polynomial, and assume y as higher priority than z.

(1+y)*Mod(1,P(z)) is a polynomial, belonging to the ring {Q[z]/P(z)Q[z]}[y]

Mod(1+y,P(z)) is a coset, belonging to the quotient ring Q(z)[y]/P(z)Q(z)[y],
which is isomorphic to the null ring since P(z) is invertible in Q(z)[y]

> The next question is how I can deduce that these expressions will
> result in elements of these rings.  [Preferably deduce basing on the
> documentation. ;-]

You can probably *deduce* it... with some effort :-)
Please read
?? POL
?? POLMOD
and
??"Multivariate objects"@4

The big thing is that each polynomial euclidean division is done as univariate
polynomials division in the higher priority variables, because euclidean division
does not make sense for multivariate polynomials.

Bill.