Nathaniel Irons on Fri, 9 Nov 2001 01:07:20 -0500

Re: library installation/Mac OS X

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:50:55AM +0100, Louis Granboulan wrote:

> Someone named Christoph Pfisterer wrote a "dlcompat" library
> that adds dl* functions.

Sorry about my mistake.  I rashly assumed from the man page that
dlopen was present.  I installed the dlcompat library, and the pari
Configure step picks up the change with -ldl.  make bench still
complains in the same place, but I get slightly different errors now:

--- 108,121 ----
  350 1.632105905172986668189652273
  400 1.632424285532931448171405619
  ? install(addii,GG)
+   ***   can't find symbol 'addii' in dynamic symbol table of process.
  ? addii(1,2)
!   ***   unknown function or error in formal parameters: addii(1,2)
!                                                         ^----------

I wonder if this is related to the one unexplained error in Configure:

Looking for an assembler ...
...as is /usr/bin/as
...Hum, this looks like GNU as
Assembler is           /usr/bin/as
C PreProcessor is      /usr/bin/gcc  -E -I.
Executable linker is   /usr/bin/gcc  -O3 -DGCC_INLINE -Wall -Wno-implicit -fomit-frame-pointer
No Dynamic Lib
./Configure: parse error [1116]
What is the internal byte representation of a double ? [4321]
./Configure: parse error near `fi' [1119]
The internal byte representation of a double is 4321.
Checking some common types...

The second parse error is the typo mentioned previously, but is the
first one a known issue?

Curiously, the mollifying warning about how 'the failure was limited
to install() so don't panic' did appear, but only in pari-2.1.1 and
not in pari-2.1.2 (which Math::Pari automatically downloaded
automatically).

  -nat