Karim BELABAS on Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:17:01 +0100 (MET)

Re: library installation/Mac OS X

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Bill Allombert wrote:
>> MakeMaker wants to produce a genuine shared library (with -fPIC) where
>> libpari.so does not want to be position-independant: we don't really care
>> about not sharing memory between running processes, whereas we do care about
>> the performance penalty associated with position-independant code.  That's why
>> -fPIC is omitted by default.  [ A good compromise would be to link the PARI
>> kernel statically, and make a genuine shared library with the rest, the PIC
>> penalty would be much smaller, possibly the usually advertised 5% or so. ]
>
> To be technically correct, we *cannot* produce position-independent code
> if we compile the asm files, because they are not written to be
> position-independent, so there is no point compiling the other C files with
> -fPIC.

What I exactly meant was to have two libraries:

  libparikernel.a  (src/kernel)
  libpari.so       (the rest)

and request that executables (in particular gp) be linked with -lparikernel
-lpari. It would be a bit more cumbersome, but probably about as fast as
statically compiled binaries.

    Karim.
--
Karim Belabas                    email: Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr