Bill Allombert on Thu, 18 Apr 2002 19:41:25 +0200

Re: GP Makefile compiling twice

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 02:55:36PM +0200, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Michael Somos wrote:
> > I am using the latest CVS and following the recommended instructions
> > for making the gp software. However, I notice that it seems to be
> > compiling the source twice. In summary, I do './Configure' ,'make gp',
> > and 'make install'.
> >
> It is not a feature, and I believe the Makefile is correct. Apparently, your
> OS attaches incorrect timestamps to the some object files, and 'make'
> believes that a header file has been modified since GP was last compiled.
>
> I've seen this happen on specific machines, often in conjunction with
> messages of the form:
>
> gmake: *** Warning: File `../src/basemath/alglin1.c' has modification time in the future
>
> but could not solve it. I don't know whether to blame 'make' or the system
> clock.  In practice, on my afflicted Linux box (i686, 2.4.7-10, RH 7.2,
> gmake-3.79.1), it happens rarely, and only once if at all [ i.e further
> 'make' behave as expected ].  I once had access to an ancient alpha (under
> OSF), where this annoying behaviour was systematic: invoking make at any
> time resulted in full recompilation (in this case, I believe the culprit was
> 'make').

For me it had always happened on NFS mounted disk, when the sysadmins do not
setup NTP to synchronize clocks between servers and clients.

If it really happen with local disks, then maybe there is a strange bug in the makefile.

Bill.