Bill Allombert on Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:21:34 +0200

Re: GP: ffinit() feature

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 10:44:51PM -0400, Michael Somos wrote:
> Pari Developers,
>      Using the up-to-the-minute CVS I find :
>
> ? ffinit(-2,1)
> %1 = Mod(1, -2)*x

This is an irreducible polynomial of degre 1 over ZZ/(-2), is it ?

> ? \v
>                  GP/PARI CALCULATOR Version 2.2.3 (development)
>                  UltraSparc (MicroSparc kernel) 32-bit version
>               (readline v2.2 enabled, extended help not available)
>
> which seems peculiar since I also find :
>
> ? Mod(1, -2)
> %2 = Mod(1, 2)

So you would prefer ffinit to output

? ffinit(-2,1)
%1 = Mod(1, 2)*x

maybe ?

I don't know if it is really a bug, but it can be fixed of course.

PS:
Please also note that the current CVS is rather buggy since two weeks (make
bench fails) but this should not prevent you from testing it, of course !