Bill Allombert on Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:55:44 +0200

Re: GP: kronecker() feature

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:11:30PM -0400, Michael Somos wrote:
> Pari Developers,
>      Using the up-to-the-minute CVS I find :
>
> ? \v
>                  GP/PARI CALCULATOR Version 2.2.3 (development)
>                  UltraSparc (MicroSparc kernel) 32-bit version
>               (readline v2.2 enabled, extended help not available)
> ? kronecker([1,2,3],[2,3,5,7])
> %1 = [[1, 1, 1, 1], [0, -1, -1, 1], [-1, 0, -1, -1]]
> ? ??kronecker
> kronecker(x,y):
>
>    Kronecker (i.e. generalized Legendre) symbol ((x)/(y)).   x and y must be of
> type integer.
>
>    The library syntax is kronecker(x,y), the result (0 or ± 1) is a long.
>
> which indicates that kronecker() is doing something but the help doc
> indicates that x and y must be integers. This is not clear to me. Shalom,
> Michael

? ??"Arithmetic functions"
Arithmetic functions:

   These  functions  are by definition functions whose natural domain of
   definition is either Z  (or Z_{ > 0}),  or sometimes polynomials over a
   base ring.   Functions which  concern polynomials exclusively will be
   explained in the next section.   The way these functions are used is
   completely different from transcendental functions: in  general only the
   types integer and polynomial are accepted as arguments.   If a vector  or
   matrix type is given,  the function will be applied on each coefficient
   independently.

Note the last sentence.