Karim BELABAS on Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:54:33 +0200 (MEST)

Re: make dobench for debugging binary

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Igor Schein wrote:
> After recent configuration I can't do make dobench after make dbg -
> it's looking for a different directory.
>
> Unless specified otherwise, I always use latest CVS sources.

What do you mean ? From toplevel directory, you use

  Configure -g && make bench

? Then it's intended. Old Configure defined a "default build" which was used
by subsequent commands. We supported building for an arbitrary number of
architectures from the same toplevel directory (also with the dbg/prf
variant, possibly Configured and compiled simultaneously). There was a
"default build" given by a symbolic link to Makefile (set by the last
Configure run, wherever it took place), but you had to be very careful and
make sure the right Makefile was the default one. And either change the link
or use 'make -f'. [on my main test machine, there were about 15 different
builds: the link was never right...]

No longer.

There's a single toplevel Makefile, architecture-independant, no link, and it
is expected that you want to operated on the standard build (not .dbf /
.prf) for your architecture and OS (being determined online by the Makefile).
So if I have Olinux-ix86 and Oosf1-alpha, then I can simply type 'make gp'
from any of these two architectures and it will work. Just the same, I have
'make dbg' and 'make prf' which will build in O$osname-$arch.dbg and .prf
repectively.

If you really want to do 'make bench' for a debugging version (what for?),
then 'cd' to the relevant directory (O$osname-$arch.dbg), then execute your
command. It is of course trivial to add targets [dbg | prf]-bench and so on
in the toplevel Makefile, but only if there seems to be a good use for them.
(for 'bench' I will not do it).

Cheers,

    Karim.
--
Karim Belabas                    Tel: (+33) (0)1 69 15 57 48
Dép. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425  Fax: (+33) (0)1 69 15 60 19