Karim BELABAS on Sun, 23 Jun 2002 18:48:45 +0200 (MEST)

Re: Configure issues

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 08:42:17PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > What I propose is to add an overridable Make variable ODIR that default to
> > `config/objdir`, so you can run
> >
> > make gp "ARCHOS=none"
>
> Well this is not useful, since you can already do
> make gp -C Onone
> and this is easier to type using shell completion.

This is GNU make specific, isn't it ?

In any case, we should append -nokernel (or somesuch) to the object dir name
if architecture 'none' was specified (O$osname-$arch-nokernel). I agree
that O$osname-none is a bad idea: no assembler kernel was used but the binary
is still $arch-specific, whatever $arch was.

For consistency, we could have a 'nokernel' (= 'gp-nokernel') target in top
Makefile (and possibly 'dbg-nokernel', 'prf-nokernel'), but it's not that
important. [ OK, I can type 'make nokernel' faster than 'cd
O<TAB><TAB><RET>make', but I'd hardly ever do it ]

But it'd be nice to be able to build portable kernels on different archs, for
the same operating system.

Would that be OK ?

    Karim.
--
Karim Belabas                    Tel: (+33) (0)1 69 15 57 48
Dép. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425  Fax: (+33) (0)1 69 15 60 19