Bill Allombert on Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:28:47 +0200

Re: Inconsistent error messages

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 11:44:01AM +0100, Jon Perry wrote:
> Why do we have inconsistent error messages? (pari/gp 217).
>
> ? sigma(n)
>   ***   not an integer argument in an arithmetic function
> ? fibonacci(n)
>   ***   this should be an integer: fibonacci(n)
>                                              ^--
Because fibonacci take a C long integer, not a multiprecision integer,
so GP has to make the conversion *before* sending it to fibonacci,
but it fail and output an error message.
OTOH, sigma take a GEN and check that it is an integer itself.