Igor Schein on Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:53:36 -0500

Re: galoissubfields() output

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 12:21:17PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 08:55:39PM -0500, Igor Schein wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like galoissubfields() to output a vector of polynomials
> > sorted by degree, which is not always the case now.
>
> I do not really like the idea. galoissubfields() order is the same
> as galoissubgroups() which is deterministic.
>
> I believe it would make more sense to add a GP function that can sort vector
> of polynomials by degree.

I second that opinion.  I've felt for long time that vecsort() can and
should be expanded to handle more sorting options.  Ideally, it'd be
nice to have a functionality similar to that of Mathematica, where a
user can specify his own sorting criteria.  In the meanwhile, I'll
continue use my own routine for sorting.

Igor