Ilya Zakharevich on Sun, 15 Dec 2002 13:17:19 -0800

Re: Vec vs Vecsmall

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 04:05:11PM -0500, Michael Somos wrote:
> pari-dev,
>
> Ilya wrote :
>
> > Chicken and eggs.  How to *populate* such an array?
>
> chr=vector(255,n,"");
> chr[32]=" ";
> chr[33]="!";

This are trivial to do.  What about *the rest*?

> > And what to do with Unicode values?
>
> What do you suggest we do with them? As far as I know, currently
> there is no Unicode capability in PARI-GP. Shalom, Michael

Sorry, I meant utf-8.  There should a way for Vec("utf-8 string") to
break the string into unicode chars, *and* produce "integer
codepoints" for these characters, *and* convert integer codepoints to
characters.  *This* is why, IMO, we better use flags for conversion
functions than proliferate (broken implementations, as the last one
with s* prototype is?) of new and new functions.

Yours,
Ilya

P.S.  Do not be surprised if I plonk for a month.  My plane is in 24
hours, and I hardly started to install OSes on my laptop.  ;-)