Bill Allombert on Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:09:34 +0100

Re: gp: a/b/c == (a/c)/b ?

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 03:55:39PM +0100, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> More precisely, it's been broken forever, but went into hiding for extended
> periods of time as a side effect of various other changes affecting
> polynomial arithmetic.
>
> 1) Main problem: == [ gegal ] was incorrect for constant polynomials, due to
> the consideration of irrelevant variable numbers.

Something that is unrelated but probably useful would be to add a
"formal equality" operator, maybe =~ that test if two objects have the
same structure and value recursively instead of computing the
difference.

This could be more efficient and sometime less confusing than the actual
==. For exemple we could test if x is 0 with 'x =~ 0' without checking
if x is an integer (if we want to reject 0., [0], etc...).

Cheers,
Bill