Bill Allombert on Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:17:12 +0200

Re: TODO

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 09:53:31PM +0200, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > If we finally get a dedicated PARI machine at Bordeaux, I can try to
> > set up a BTS, but I would rather choose debbugs than bugzilla.
> > OK I am biaised, but debbugs is simpler and more 'open': you do not
> > need to register, there is no priviledged users, etc...
>
> If somebody else is taking charge of this, then this is an entirely different
> question :-).

It is just a matter of getting a machine and permission to run a web
server and to be able receive mail locally from the firewall admins.
I can probably find a free hosting somewhere (sourceforge, etc...) but
it would be better if it was hosted by Bordeaux.

> It is indeed very desirable to have a public (and publicly archived) bug
> tracking system.

> It seems bugzilla is the de facto (open) standard, though.

Let me politely disagree :)

> And probably configurable to emulate whatever behaviour we'd think advisable.

Ever tried to configure mozilla to be a replacement for lynx ?

Bugzilla is designed to receive the less number of bug reports possible
by making strong barrier for reporting bug (need to setup an
account, using web form, etc...).  Debbugs is the opposite, you just
need to be able to send an email, you are not required to be able to
receive email, browse the web, etc...

Bugzilla is fine for large project like mozilla which would be
overwhelmed by bug reports if every one was allowed to report a bug, but
I believe PARI can afford this risk.