Justin Walker on Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:57:14 -0700

Re: Doc questions

On Friday, Apr 18, 2003, at 05:46 US/Pacific, Karim BELABAS wrote:

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Justin Walker wrote:
1) Ref card - on my system (Mac OS X, 10.2.5), attempting to print the
ref card shows a mismatch between paper and orientation of the text
(text wants landscape; paper is 'normal').  Is that a glitch in the
.TeX file, or in Mac OS X somehow?

dvips -t landscape  ?

Further checking shows me that I did that to myself. I was trying to get a better-looking on-line version, and built it with another ps distiller. Thanks.

2) Can one build a PDF file with 'live links' (as in the down-loadable
PDF)?  When I build it locally (TeXShop), I don't get the live links.

The downloadable manuals were produced with 'make docpdf' [ tetex
distribution (it shouldn't matter, we simply need pdftex) ]

Again, I built the PDF myself. Making this way gives me the live links. Thanks!

3) The 'users' guide seems to be remade every time I 'make'.  Is that
expected?

It's a glitch in the dependency system: the manual depends on a file
(users.std) which is erased once the users.dvi target is built [ because of the 2-pass process: if users.std is not there, FIRST PASS and write index
entries, else SECOND PASS and include index ].

Not worth it IMHO [ I'd rather switch to standardized LaTeX than emulate
further its behaviour ].

Fine with me; I was just curious as to the explanation.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        | Some people have a mental