Justin C. Walker on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 04:58:45 +0100

Re: Mac OS X + PARI + FLTK

Hi, Karim,

On Friday, November 7, 2003, at 10:46 AM, Karim BELABAS wrote:

  I have ported gp hi-res graphics to the MacOS X platform, using the
lightweight fltk library (www.fltk.org). Provided, fltk is installed,
this is enabled by

    Configure --with-fltk

There are two problems:

1) on a Unix host (or Cygwin) the graphics window is created by a forked process and it is possible to go on working in GP while keeping many such windows open. It works perfectly on Solaris, Linux and Windows (Cygwin, and
apparently native builds though I couldn't check that).

Using this generic code and fltk-1.1.4 on MacOS X, control goes back to
parent gp immediately, no window appears, and the forked-off gp supposedly controlling the graphical window silently enters an infinite loop deep down a
Carbon routine (  ClearMenuBar(), called from the fltk routine
Fl_mac.cxx:fl_open_display() ).

I hacked the generic code to get something useful, governed by the macro
BROKEN_FORK (currently defined whenever __APPLE__ is).

Maybe this problem is due to a broken Carbon library on my test machine. You may want to try _not_ to define BROKEN_FORK in src/graph/plotfltk.c, and see
whether it works for you.

I'm currently setting up a 10.3 system, and I'm not yet in a position to check this out. As soon as I get there, I will, and report back.

If anyone else has a clue to spare, please do.

BTW, what version of Mac OS X are you using?

Regards,

Justin

PS: for curiosity's sake, does everyone get those annoying 'qsecretary' notices, or do I just look like junk mail to Dan?

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics | "Weaseling out of things is what