Karim Belabas on Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:53:47 +0100

Re: Graphic support in CVS

* Vincent Lefevre [2006-01-21 19:56]:
>>> Sigh.  No, this means that gd library was present (at least in *some*
>>> form), gd headers were present, but the linking failed...

>>> I can't deduce any trick which would detect such silly a misconfiguration...
>>
>> Unfortunately, it's now the default setup in most (all?) Linux distros.
>> I do regret it also, although I can see the original logic for doing so.
>
> To be able to compile and link against some library, you need both
> the library itself and the header files, which are provided by the
> -dev package (and this is the goal of the -dev package). If headers
> are present, but not the .so file, then there is something broken in
> the library packages.
>
> The .so file depends on the library API and is not needed to dynamically
> link against the library.

I agree wholeheartedly with the rationale. But in practice, I find myself
hunting and installing -dev packages more often than not (apparently, they
are hardly ever installed by default), so I find the added granularity
(pack + pack-dev) irritating. Esp. when I compare it to the negligible
amount of disk space that was saved by installing only one half of the
pair.

I can certainly live with it. But PARI users stumble on these over and over
again ("readline not found"-kind of problems). Made it a FAQ, but it didn't
help much.

Cheers,

    Karim.
--
Karim Belabas                  Tel: (+33) (0)5 40 00 26 17
Universite Bordeaux 1          Fax: (+33) (0)5 40 00 69 50