Phil Carmody on Tue, 16 May 2006 11:48:24 +0200

Re: need for a hash function

--- Igor Schein <igor@txc.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a scenario.  I need to to check whether or not 2 polynomials
> are isomorphic.  The polynomials are big, so the usual methods like
> nfisisom() and friends are computationally costly.  But, I am able to
> compute relatively cheaply my own invariant and compare it for both
> polynomials.  However, the value of the function which computes
> the invariant takes on huge vectors.

Is it possible to just calculate the invariant modulo small primes?
If they're huge vectors of small values, then that won't be a gain.

Phil

()  ASCII ribbon campaign      ()    Hopeless ribbon campaign
/\    against HTML mail        /\  against gratuitous bloodshed