Tom Gettys on Mon, 27 Nov 2006 06:19:27 +0100

RE: PARI

Thanks for your considered and complete reply Justin; much appreciated!

Tom Gettys
2929 Warren Street
Eugene, Oregon 97405
(541) 683-1940
http://home.comcast.net/~tpgettys/

To dream of the person you would like to be
is to waste the person you are.

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin C. Walker [mailto:justin@mac.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 2:20 PM
To: Pari Developers Pari
Subject: Re: PARI

On Nov 26, 2006, at 13:37 , Tom Gettys wrote:

> Thank you very much for your response Bill.  So, just to be clear,
> there is
> no way to compose a multiline script within PARI, and no way to
> modify one
> that I read in from a file, correct?  Also, I presume that after
> file is
> read using the \r command PARI starts to execute the script
> immediately
> (that is, there is no GO or RUN command).

A) Multiline scripts can be constructed within a gp session:
    SillyFunc(n)={
        print(n);
        return(5*n);
    }

defines a function that you can use later in your session.

B) if you have built with GNU readline support, then you can modify
the script within the gp session: just "^P" to get back to the
function definition (which may appear on one extended line).

Your best bet in all cases, though, is as Bill suggests: use an
external editor and "\r".

C) If your script is a sequence of executable statements, yes, they
will all be executed when read.  I think in general, they way most of
us work, for even the simplest scripts, is to use functions, so they
just become defined, without themselves being executed.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
--------