Karim Belabas on Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:41:52 +0100

Re: documentation in PDF?

* Bill Allombert [2008-01-21 15:32]:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 01:50:35AM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > As said on <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=461613>,
> > this depends on the configuration. But the fact that the dvi file
> > doesn't contain papersize hints is a bug. As said in the xdvi man page:
> >
> >   -paper papertype
> >      (.paper)  Specifies  the  size of the printed page. Note that in
> >      most cases it's best to specify the paper size in the TeX  input
> >      file via the line
>
> Actually, gphelp uses 'xdvi -paper 29.7x21cm refcard.dvi'  which explain
> why I could not reproduce this problem. (I did ??refcard under gp)
>
> >      \usepackage[dvips]{geometry}
> >
> >      which  will  be  recognized by both dvips and xdvi; in that case
> >      the use of a `-paper' option should be unneccessary.
>
> refcard.tex is in TeX, not in LaTeX. Is there an equivalent for TeX
> document ?

Yes there is, slightly hackish ( \special{papersize=...} ), and I'd
rather avoid hardcoding it into the dvi. [ You can override the
xdvi -paper ... with GPXDVIREF. ]

I've seen many broken "xdvi" implementations, with a rather impredictable
behaviour with respect to how they handle page size: e.g what happens
when you resize the window, toggle expert mode on / off, etc.
( the experimental gphelp -balloon is completely broken by this ).

Cheers,

    K.B.
--
Karim Belabas                  Tel: (+33) (0)5 40 00 26 17
IMB, Universite Bordeaux 1     Fax: (+33) (0)5 40 00 69 50