Xavier-François Roblot on Thu, 04 Dec 2008 13:45:05 +0100

lift of FFELT

Hi guys,

at the moment, applying lift() to an FFELT results in doing nothing (cf. gen3.c:2877). I think it would more sensible to return the corresponding polynomial with coefficients lifted in Z. I know there are other ways to achieve this result but I believe that would be consistent with the use of lift() to go from INTMOD (which are also elements of a finite ring) to INT. BTW, ffgen for primitive finite fields does not work:

(12:48) gp > ffgen(ffinit(5,1), x)
  ***   at top-level: ffgen(ffinit(5,1),x)
  *** ffgen: bug in PARI/GP (Segmentation Fault), please report

so the only to get a generator of the multiplicative group is to use znprimroot which returns a INTMOD. Hence, the need to have one common function to deal with primitive and imprimitive cases at the same time.

Take care,

--
Xavier-François Roblot
Institut Camille Jordan