jason on Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:35:50 +0200

Re: Re: patch for pari for building with msvc

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Allombert" <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr>
To: <pari-dev@list.cr.yp.to>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: Re: patch for pari for building with msvc

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:33:04AM +0100, Jason Moxham wrote:
Nor am I , cmd.com batch language is horrible (deceptive as well ,
reading existing batch files is easy , but just try doing anything
non trivial), I tried doing a make bench equivalent , but after 4
hours of hell I gave up , the parser/lexer changes for each
different command ie a echo in a for loop is parsed differently from
an echo not in a for loop . I refuse to do anything more in dos
batch files :)

Hello Jason,

Sometimes ago, I managed to cross-compile and test PARI on MinGW on the pari host,
and I have report that it is possible to build PARI on MinGW using MSYS.

So I wonder: instead of fighting with cmd.com, why not use MSYS to build pari with
MSVC ? This should make the task significantly easier.

Yeah I have thought of that , now I got my windows box up and running again(well nearly , I cant install SP2 for some reason) , I'm going to give it a go

see this discussion
http://groups.google.com/group/mpir-devel/browse_thread/thread/a3ea8063a0a1a823
message 8

4) Get autotools to run NATIVE in windows with MSVC . What I have in mind is
really a trick , there are two parts to it , 1) get it use cl.exe instead of
gcc.exe 2) hide the fact that we are running under another shell.

autotools can run cl.exe , no problem , just like it can run cc or icc , the
options are a little different , but a script can easily take care of that (as long as everything is one-to-one) , once we have this bit , then we could get
a MSVC compile under cygwin or minGW . The next stage is to have a "hidden
install" of minGW so we can run autotools, (just like we do for yasm under
linux).

Thanks

Jason