Phil Carmody on Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:27:31 +0100

Re: Fwd: parallel make

--- On Thu, 1/19/12, John Cremona <john.cremona@gmail.com> wrote:
> I normally build much faster using "make -j" instead of plain "make".
> Now I was just trying "./Configure --tune" for the first time, and I
> see that it is doing a full build (and I expect it will do this more
> than once given the estimated time for this given in the manual).
>
> If the Makefiles used $MAKE instead of make, then this could also be
> sped up via the user setting (e.g.) export MAKE='make -j' before
> starting.  Is there any reason why this would not work?

If you have to perform recursive makes, then yes, that makes more sense. However, /Recursive Make Considered Harmful/. (There ought to be a followup to that called "gnu make without -r considered harmful". Strace a gmake on an empty directory, I dare you.

Phil