John Cremona on Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:24:28 +0100

Re: Complex AGM

For a definition of what "optimal" means and why it matters for
elliptic curve period computations, see http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.0914

I am pretty sure that taking the principal square root will never give
a sequence converging to zero.  Using the optimal branch always gives
the largest limit (and hence the smallest periods), though there is al
ittle more to the question than that.

John