John Cremona on Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:40:26 +0200

Re: ellpow renamed to ellmul

On 11 June 2012 11:29, Bill Allombert
<Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 08:53:14PM +0100, John Cremona wrote:
>> On 6 June 2012 20:06, Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> wrote:
>> > Dear PARI developers,
>> >
>> > I have renamed the GP function ellpow to ellmul, for symmetry with elladd.
>> > (ellpow is still available for backward compatibility, but deprecated).
>> > I have also renamed the matching C functions.
>> >
>> > It was awkward to have both elladd and ellpow.
>> > I have also added a function ellneg for completeness.
>>
>> Hooray!
>
> Should I also add an elldbl function for doubling points ?

That would not be a priority for me, but would do no harm (especially
as it is implemented as a special case in the library).

If you do not already have ellneg(E,P) as s shortcut for
ellpow(E,P,-1) I would add that.

In my own scripts I also have ellcomb(E,pts,v) where pts is a list of
points on E and v is a list of integers of the same length, returning
the sum of v[i]*pts[i];  but I also have a comment to the effect that
this might be handled at some point by factorback().  I don't think it
is now though.

John