Bill Allombert on Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:40:29 +0200

Re: temporary files under win32

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:49:37AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Dear PARI developers,
>
> I get report that PARI support for temporary files on win32 is not reliable.
> In particular when running several instance of GP running factorisation.
>
> I would be glad if someone could review this code
> (in src/language/es.c)
>
> To debug under gp, do
> \gf2
> factorint(2^251-1,14)

So the first bug I found is that the directories are created in '.', not
in the system tmp directory (assuming this exist on windows).

The second is that there is a race condition of some sort.
If you create 4 directories, each with a copy of gp.exe and start each
of them in parallel, MPQS is much more reliable, so this suggest some race
condition.

Cheers,
Bill