Bill Allombert on Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:08:47 +0200

Re: updated windows installer for PARI

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 02:41:54AM -0400, jacques G wrote:
> > You can download it at:
> > <http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/pari/windows/snapshot/Pari-2-6-g47ab1b9d.exe>
> > Cheers,
> > Bill
>
> 0. The link  above is broken (/pub/ is missing)  but the installer is working perfectly under Vista ! Good work, thanks.
>
> 1. Just as in the January 2013 version, the cursor disapears during line
> editing (readline 6.2). This does not happen with PARI 2.4.1 and readline
> 5.2, or other programs such as MSYS, CMD.EXE, Python. The only software that
> I know has this problem is a 1995 version of Maple V, and I find it annoying
> to lose track of the cursor position for a looong time (1 second). However,
> PARI/GP is not a command line editing tool of course, and this "feature" can
> be ignored. Maybe there is a simple remedy, such as modifying a readline
> default option ?

I have no idea what cause this problem. If you think this is linked to readline
version, I can try to downgrade the readline version used to build the binary
if needed (though I am not sure how to buld readline5 on mingw).
I do not have this issue under Wine.

I found a lot of report of similar problem with other software. For example:
<http://superuser.com/questions/424610/underscore-cursor-vanishes-when-using-arrow-keys>
<http://www.scala-lang.org/node/6794>

> 2. One also loses CTRL-C with this 2.6/6.2, again not a big deal.

What do you mean by losing CTRL-C ? This seems to work under wine.

Thanks for your tests!
Bill.