Karim Belabas on Mon, 06 May 2013 23:50:02 +0200

Re: updated windows installer for PARI

* Bill Allombert [2013-05-06 21:01]:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:12:24AM -0400, jacques G wrote:
> > > I tested on some windows server 2008 and CTRL-C worked fine.
> >
> > 1. On my VISTA laptop, CTRL-C just rings the bell, while other
> > readline controls seem to work fine. A cheap solution is
> > decreasing the stack size, so a runaway computation
> > (such as an impossible task) will stop when memory is low, sooner.
>
> Further experiment by Jacques shows that disabling readline
> (with e.g. default(readline,0)) fix this issue and the one with
> the cursor.
>
> So I plan to add to gprc.txt
> readline=0.

This would be unfortunate. Maybe we could try to understand
what exactly goes wrong with MinGW's readline (or termcap ?).

- preliminary testing: does e.g. MSYS bash work out-of-the box ?

- how exactly did you get libreadline.a for MinGW ?

- we could try linking with libncurses instead of libtermcap
[ a while ago, the cygwin readline port used ncurses instead of termcap;
the latter was broken ]

- we could try a few different versions of readline

- if nothing works and readline + MinGW remain broken maybe somebody
  knows a *good* simple terminal that we could include in the installer

    K.B.
--
Karim Belabas, IMB (UMR 5251)  Tel: (+33) (0)5 40 00 26 17
Universite Bordeaux 1          Fax: (+33) (0)5 40 00 69 50