John Cremona on Thu, 11 Aug 2016 12:03:15 +0200

Re: Please test pari-2.8.0 prerelease 1

I have been building 2.8.0 on several ubuntu machines.  In each case I
first unpack the files elldata.tgz  galdata.tgz  galpol.tgz
seadata.tgz into data/ as I have always done, before ./Configure.  But
after the build when I run "make test-all" I see

! Skipping galois: optional package galdata not installed.

and similar lines about the other packages.

When I run the local version ./gp (since I have not yet done "make
install") to try something manually I can see the problem:
? ellidentify(e)
  ***   at top-level: ellidentify(e)
  ***                 ^--------------
  *** ellidentify: error opening elldata file:
`/usr/local/share/pari/elldata/ell5'.

It seems that gp knows that I will later install it in /usr/local, but
not that I have not yet done this.  This makes "make test-all" less
useful, unless I first pre-install the data/ stuff.  I think I only
just noticed this as I have been doing the build on a couple of
machines which were new and so had not yet had pari/gp installed in
/usr/local/

I am not sure how to fix this, but I think there is something to be
fixed since one should be able to run "make test-all" before "make
install" and see no errors!  Perhaps there could be an environment
variable set to the path where the data files are, which "make
test-all" would set to "./data", while the installed version could use
a default.

John