Bill Allombert on Thu, 31 Dec 2020 20:46:51 +0100

Re: Documentation updates for PARI/GP 2.13.0

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 02:13:21PM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Here's an attempt to update some of the user documentation. The
> changes apply to the User Guide around page 600
> (https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/pub/pari/manuals/2.13.0/users.pdf),
> where configuring and building the package are discussed.
>
> The updates slightly improve some reading flow, and expands or adds
> some explanations. It is not a complete copy or technical edit.

Thanks a lot for your review, it is certainly true some of the text is
outdated, especially for OS X/macos.

> Configure --help shows a --host, but I cannot find an explanation of
> the option. I've been setting it to --host=$(config.guess). It may be
> a good idea to add something about it under Section, 2.2. Advanced
> configuration.

--host expects --host=$arch-$osname where both $arch and $osname being a single word.
This replaces the value detected by config/arch-osname.

with respect of config.guess, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu becomes x86_64-linux