Ilya Zakharevich on Thu, 26 Sep 2024 10:28:31 +0200

Re: [2.16.1-alpha] Cannot make debugging build

On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 10:17:23AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > but it would not make debugging build.  AFAICS, the reason is that
> >   config/objdir
> > (sp???) remains the same, so the build happens with the non-debugging
> > Makefile.
> >
> > What did I do wrong?
>
> You should do as ./Configure -g says (last line)
> "Ok. Type "cd Olinux-x86_64.dbg; make install" when you are ready"

This does not look as making any sense.  Why would I want to install a
debugging build?!

Puzzled,
Ilya

P.S.  All I need¹⁾ from a debugging build is the suitable compilation
      and linking flags.  I definitely would not want to learn
      yet-another-magic-incantation for the build process…

        ¹⁾ In fact, no.  Maybe “the ability to skip installing” to get
           “the extra functionality” might be also useful…