Karim BELABAS on Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:32:24 +0200

Ilya's readline patches.

I finally included all of Ilya's readline patches (after some cosmetic
changes: { de-electrified for instance). Thanks Ilya !

They are certainly useful and I myself will use them, but electric
parentheses can be rather annoying and it's not too easy to guess how to
toggle them out (it's obvious from the code, but...). So I'd like to switch
them off by default. The problem is that I see only one way to toggle them
from readline's .inputrc: unbind the hot keys, and let the user bind them
in his .inputrc. Specifically:

$if Pari-GP
(: pari-matched-insert
[: pari-matched-insert
$endif

I would have prefered "set electric-paren on", for instance, but I don't
see how to make readline take it into account.

Ilya, what do you think ?

   Karim.
--
Karim Belabas                     e-mail: belabas@math.u-psud.fr