Igor Schein on Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:27:19 -0400

Re: pari-2.0.10.beta

On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 06:14:07PM -0400, Igor wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 08:25:20AM -0400, cohen@math.u-bordeaux.fr
> wrote:
> >
> > As a temporary (?) fix to the bug described by M. Atria with 0-parameter
> > functions,
> > line 1349 of anal.c replace cgeti(nparam) by cgeti(max(1,nparam)).
> >
> > H. Cohen
>
> This still doesn't fix Gerhard's variation on the same theme:
>
> mysqrt()=sqrtint(1)
> 1.-mysqrt()
>
> It doubles the stack a few times, in my case up to 64M
> and then SEGFAULTs.
>
> Igor

And, it gets much worse:
? a=1.
1.000000000000000000000000000
? b=sqrtint(1)
1
? a=b
1
? mysqrt()=sqrtint(1)
? a-mysqrt()
0
? 1.-mysqrt()
  ***   the PARI stack overflows !!!

  ***   Warning: doubling stack size; new stack = 8000000.

At this point, if I hit up arrow or ^p ( I'm linked
against readline ) to repeat the last command, I immediately
get
?   ***   bus error: bug in GP (please report).

And, better yet, when I try to do anything else at this point,
the cursor stars blinking like crazy, I lose keyboard and
it takes a combination of ^c and ^\ several times to quit
out of gp, sometimes with a core dump.

Igor

So something so horrible is happening, that even keyboard
input handling gets screwed up.