Karim BELABAS on Fri, 23 Oct 1998 18:31:49 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: Galois groups

> What are the chances that the next release will include the data files
> for computing Galois groups of polynomials of degree > 7.  As you
> close in on making a beta release, it might be good to having testing
> of that feature (... and I have some octic polynomials for which I
> want the Galois groups and galp is giving me some trouble :)).

They are "ready" and have been tested quite a lot already. I never provided
them because a lot of cleaning up needed to be done (presumably reducing
their size from the current 4.7Mo to something decent). But it seems the
volunteer who took charge of the job in not too eager to do it anymore...

Since they work quite well, it would be a little stupid to hoard them while
nobody's working on them. I'll provide them with the next version (in a
separate archive...).

Karim.
--
Karim Belabas                    email: Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr