Igor Schein on Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:29:51 -0400

Re: Making the mailing-list archives nicer

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 04:46:30PM +0200, Gerhard Niklasch wrote:
> > From: "Tom Womack" <tom@womack.net>
> > To: "PARIUSER" <pari-users@list.cr.yp.to>
> > Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:15:40 +0100
> >
> > Is there any way I could help to make the mailing-list archives nicer to
> > access? I've found the present Web interface so irritating that I ran a
> > recursive grab over the entire archive and use the Windows search tool to
> > find relevant posts; at the moment it doesn't feel even as if you can do
> > 'forward a month' and 'back a month', let alone a full-text search, and the
> > format of the month indices leaves an awful lot to be desired.
[snip]
> Do you look for pieces of text (say, something like "elliptic curve")?

My favorite is altavista-like capabilities, i.e. "elliptic ~ curves" will
look for 2 words close to each other, while "elliptic & curves" will
look for messages containing both words.

> Would you like to see postings grouped into threads?  (Now this was
> probably a rhetorical question...)

That would be a number 1 thing to implement.

Igor