Thomas Geffers on Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:27:23 +0200

change variables in multivariant polynomials.

Hi everyone!

I am a newbee and I have the following problem:

I am writing a program with gp with multivariant polynomials. Because of
the order of the variables I would like to change all the variables from
the input-polynomials. But my way is not very elegant (and by the way does
not work very good;-).

ie:
g=(u^4-4*u)*z^4 + u*z^2 -1;

variable(g) is now u. I get the other variable with

variable(Vec(g));  \\ It gives the correct z.

My problem is, that I can not change this variable with changevar.
I "solve" this problem with a loop with the following kernel:

Pol(Vec(g)[i],w)  \\ hence for each coefficient.

As in the docomentation written, this can lead to invalid objects.
Is there a more elegant (correct?) way to solve this?

I know, that PARI/GP treats multivariant polynomials as univariant
polynomials with polynomial coefficients, but is there a possiblity to get
all variables at once?

Thank you very much,

Thomas Geffers