Justin C. Walker on Tue, 04 Apr 2006 03:47:50 +0200

Re: a paypal email with a pari userlist message

On Apr 3, 2006, at 17:14 , cino hilliard wrote:

I received this junk mail today. Somehow my message to this forum got spammed or into
malicious hands. How is PayPal involved with the pari list?

This is a "known problem". I am guessing here, but I believe that some clever soul has created a junk address, and has set up forwarding from that address to paypal, amazon, and ebay (at least, when I post, that's who responds...).

I've sent mail to the list maintainer, but have received nothing in reply, so I assume this doesn't bother him.

A way to fix this is to tag each message sent from the list handler with the name to which it was sent (as is done, e.g., on Apple's mailing lists). That way, we could tell which address is bogus. That requires (presumably) changes to the list software handling the pari lists.

In the meantime, think of it as the cost of doing business :-}

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large