Benjamin Hutz on Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:33:11 +0100

building pari with cygwin

Title: building pari with cygwin

Dear Pari users,

  Im trying to build pari on windows XP (Pentium), looking to move in the direction of using the library in C and/or gp2c.  Ive installed the latest cygwin environment (with all of the devel section) and Ive failed to compile Pari.  Ive tried several different versions 2.2.10, 2.2.13, 2.3.1, 2.3.3, 2.4.2 and they all fail with varying errors.  Version 2.3.3 is the only one that actually gets started and dies somewhere in the middle of building.

I know to diagnose these particular problems you need the particular errors, but my question at the moment is slightly higher level.  Since I have no real backwards compatibility to worry about, I can change my environment to make this work better.  So the question is: How should  I set this up?  Do I just need to find the right set of cygwin components and the right version of pari and it will just work?  Would this all just work (including using GMP and GP2C etc) if I create a linux partition and try to do this there? (advance warning that I know little to nothing about linux)

Thanks,

  Ben