Rick Regan on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 19:43:47 +0200

Re: Is There a Way to Rationalize a Decimal in Pari/GP?

I didn't mention that I am only looking at this from a limited point
of view. I want to convert dyadic decimal fractions -- those that
represent double-precision floating-point binary values. They are
always terminating decimals.  My aim is to reduce them to the form
a/2^n, which bestappr() does (except that the power of two is given as
a constant, and not as 2^n. I can find n with factor() but if you know
of a more direct way...).