Jeremy Porter on Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:08:21 +0100

Re: ellap hangs on a large-ish prime

Thanks to all for the very speedy responses!

In any case, the problem seems to be solved in the current svn.
The original poster's gp script

E = ellinit([0,0,1,-1,0]);
P = 2486152157;
ellap(E, P)

returns -13740 in no time.

I also get this answer in no time if I compile the older 2.3.4 (stable) version of GP myself on any of the systems I have at my disposal; however using the version of GP installed through the Ubuntu repositories will have ellap() hang, on various architectures. Is it possible (out of the purview of this list, I recognize) that some compilation option for the Ubuntu package is to blame?

Cheers,
 - Jeremy