Bill Allombert on Sat, 20 Nov 2010 00:10:03 +0100

Re: Member function change in 2.4.x?

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 03:38:12PM -0500, Charles Greathouse wrote:
> First, I have to echo John Kemeny: great job with 2.4!  I very much
> enjoy 2.4.3: native functions as closures, setsearch() working on
> vectors (YES!), faster basic operations and ispower(), etc.  (Perhaps
> the best part of these yearslong changes are the library improvements,
> but GP-only users won't care about those.)
>
> I would like for Windows users to be able to run it as well.  Is there
> anything I can do to help?

As far as I understand, the major problem is getting bash and perl to work
correctly on cygwin on VISTA and Windows 7.

> I don't know much about cygwin/mingw but I
> do have access to a Windows box and I'd be happy to at least take a
> look.  What needs to be done to build the dailies as you're doing now?

The daily builds are very different from the Pari.exe installer. They are done
on a linux system using a cross-compiler mingw and wine. I suppose that if you
install mingw and msys, you should be able to build the equivalent.

>  What needs to be done to add in the missing features: readline,
> high-resolutions plots, etc.

I think high-resolution ploting should work, though I cannot test it.
For readline it is a matter of finding how to install it on mingw
in my setup.

> On a not-unrelated note, is there a list of the parts of Pari that
> have not yet been ported to Windows?  I noticed that alarm doesn't
> work; I'm not sure what the 'right' way to do this in Windows is.  But
> are there others?

I do not know, alarm is the only one I can remember.