Bill Allombert on Fri, 06 May 2016 10:56:38 +0200

Re: Problems with readline

On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 10:02:32PM -0400, Jack Fearnley wrote:
> I have decided to download the latest stable version of Pari into my
> Ubuntu 16.04 partition. It seems I have a few alternative ways of
> doing this. And none of them, so far, successfully incorporate
> readline.
>
> 1)  Use the synaptic package manager to acquire readline and then
> acquire Pari

Hello Jack,

readline is not something you can meaningfully acquire using synaptic
package manager. Instead, if you install software that use readline,
synaptic will automatically install it. Otherwise installing it has
no effect. If you are building software using readline, you need to
install 'libreadline-dev' instead.

> 2) Download readline from the Pari site and do ./configure etc.
> Then download Pari from the Pari site and do ./configure etc

If you do that, you need to make sure PARI Configure find your readline
installation.

> Why doesn't the Pari package simply incorporate Readline? I cannot
> imagine anyone NOT wanting it!

Hello Jack,
The official Debian package includes readline, and as far as I can tell
from <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/yakkety/amd64/pari-gp/2.7.5-1> so
does the Ubuntu version.

If you are trying to build PARI yourself, then you should do
sudo apt-get build-dep pari
so make sure all packages needed to build pari are installed,
including libreadline-dev.

If not, maybe someting is strange with you apt configuration.
What is your /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
files ?