American Citizen on Sat, 14 Sep 2024 01:36:24 +0200

trying to find 1/2 angle tangent formuli for rationals

Hello:

It is a known (maybe not so well known) fact that if a person is given the rational values [a,b] for the 1/2 angle tangents of a triangle, then the 3rd 1/2 angle tangent is also rational and the triangle is a Heron triangle.

I am trying to find an algebraic expression in GP Pari, which takes as input [a,b] (rational or symbolic) and outputs the sides of the triangle.

Example:

for the 13,14,15 Heron triangle, the 1/2 angle tangents are [ 1/2,  4/7, 2/3 ]

So if I input f(1/2,4/7) I should expect to see (intermediate value 2/3 for the missing 1/2 angle tangent) and finally 13,14,15

My goal is to input certain rationals creating square sided Heron triangles (2 of the sides must be squares) and checking to see if we have a 3rd square side

I know of only 2 such Heron triangles, 4427,4380,1853 and 68595,68104,11789 and I am searching for a 3rd such example.

I do know that the middle side > 842,180, having exhaustively searched the 42+ quadrillion triangles.

Can we find an algebraic expression for the triangles sides s,t,u, given a,b as the 1/2 angle tangents?

Randall