John Cremona on Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:34:50 +0200

Re: Please test pari-2.8.0 prerelease 1

Thanks, Bill.

On 11 August 2016 at 13:17, Bill Allombert
<Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 11:02:37AM +0100, John Cremona wrote:
>> I have been building 2.8.0 on several ubuntu machines.  In each case I
>> first unpack the files elldata.tgz  galdata.tgz  galpol.tgz
>> seadata.tgz into data/ as I have always done, before ./Configure.  But
>> after the build when I run "make test-all" I see
>>
>> ! Skipping galois: optional package galdata not installed.
>>
>> and similar lines about the other packages.
>>
>> When I run the local version ./gp (since I have not yet done "make
>> install") to try something manually I can see the problem:
>> ? ellidentify(e)
>>   ***   at top-level: ellidentify(e)
>>   ***                 ^--------------
>>   *** ellidentify: error opening elldata file:
>> `/usr/local/share/pari/elldata/ell5'.
>>
>> It seems that gp knows that I will later install it in /usr/local, but
>> not that I have not yet done this.  This makes "make test-all" less
>> useful, unless I first pre-install the data/ stuff.  I think I only
>> just noticed this as I have been doing the build on a couple of
>> machines which were new and so had not yet had pari/gp installed in
>> /usr/local/
>>
>> I am not sure how to fix this, but I think there is something to be
>> fixed since one should be able to run "make test-all" before "make
>> install" and see no errors!  Perhaps there could be an environment
>> variable set to the path where the data files are, which "make
>> test-all" would set to "./data", while the installed version could use
>> a default.
>
> Such environment variable exists, see man gp, it is named GP_DATA_DIR.
> You can do:
>
> GP_DATA_DIR=`pwd`/data make test-galois
> GP_DATA_DIR=`pwd`/data ./gp
>
> but it is better directly to extract the extra packages in their final
> destination since this saves lots of diskspace and time compared to
> make install-data

Only 163M after unpacking!  that's nothing!

jec@fermat:~/packages/PARI/pari-2.8.0.alpha$ du -sh data/
163M    data/
jec@fermat:~/packages/PARI/pari-2.8.0.alpha$ df -h .
Filesystem                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/fermat--vg-root  6.3T   24G  6.0T   1% /

John