Bill Allombert on Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:51:21 +0200

Re: functions returning int with 'l' protocodes.

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:31:19PM -0700, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:44:18PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Here is 'my first paragraph' that I was speaking about:
> >
> >     For now, only output is neccessary. And since we are going to redesign
> >     the system, it is not a high priority to allow installed functions
> >     to take an int. Especially since there is no 't_INT to C int' conversions
> >     routines in GP.
>
> Why do I get an impression that when you say "we do not need it", you
> mean "I do not need it"...  My point is very simple: the manual
> advocates using install() to reach, e.g., CRTL functions.  And
> currently, there is no way to do it on alpha.

We need it for the next stable release (2.3), I fully agree. But here we are talking about
fixing the CVS so that we can debug on alpha/ia64. Afterward, we can discuss of the
forthcoming description system, what features is needed, and how they are going to
be implemented. It is too soon to add new features to install.

> > And yes, we are really going to redesign the system. You can download
> > the description patch from <http://www.math.u-bordeaux.fr/~allomber/desc>.
>
> No, I can't.  ;-)   At least now.  ;-)

The URL is correct but the server is unreachable...
Well I have copied everything at
<http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/desc/>

Note that this snapshot make no change to the prototype itself, since it would
involve patching PARI, and there is no C code in this snapshot.

Thanks for your interest,